Print Friendly Recipe
- Black beans with pork and rice
- Cathie MacDonald
- 2 3 lbs (1.4 kg) pork roast trimmed of fat
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg). dried black beans
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) grapeseed oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, medium sized, diced
- chicken Stock
- 1-2/3 cups (400 ml) basmati Rice
- 6 cups (1425 ml) water
- 1 clove garlic
- Night before: Place black beans in a big pot or bowl, cover with water
- and allow to soak over night.
- After trimming pork of rind and fat, cut into bite size chunks. Do not
- discard bone.
- Put the oil into a large pot or Dutch Oven.
- Put pot on burner over medium heat. Add pork, bone, garlic and onion.
- Cook until meat is brown and aromatic.
- Drain beans and add to pot.
- Add enough chicken stock to fill pot, which should be about an inch over the beans.
- Turn heat to low, and simmer for approx. 4 hours, until beans are tender and liquid is thickened.
- Prepare rice.
- Put the rice and the garlic in the Rice Bowl portion of the rice steamer.
- Add 2 cups (475 ml) of water to the rice bowl, and 4 cups (950 ml) of water to the reservoir.
- Steam until done.
- Serve in pasta bowls, beans over rice, with grated Cheddar on top if desired.
- Delicioso, si?
- We had "frijoles con arroz" in Cuba. I assume its basically the same dish
in Puerto Rico. I can't make a small amount of this... it just doesn't
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.