Print Friendly Recipe
- Lush and delicious
Serves/Makes:1 9 inch layer cake
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz (56 grm). red food coloring
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) cake flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cocoa
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) soda
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs.
- Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring and add to the creamed mixture.
- Mix with salt and vanilla with the buttermilk.
- Add alternately with the flour to the creamed mixture.
- Mix soda and vinegar and fold into the mixture.
- Bake in two 9 inch pans for 30 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- This is another one of my mom's specialties. We had this on special occasions. She usually frosted it with a white fluffy frosting.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.