Print Friendly Recipe
- Great for the Fourth of July
- C. Myers
Serves/Makes:2 Layer 8" cake
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Crisco
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) cake flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Nestle Quick (Chocolate)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 Oz (28 grm). bottle of red food coloring
- Disolve soda in vinegar before adding to mixture.
- Add red food coloring last.
- Combine all other ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Use electric mixer to blend all ingredients, approx. 2 minutes.
- Lightly grease the bottoms only of two 8 inch round cake pans.
- Cut out 2 8 inch circles of wax paper and place in pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Be careful not to over bake, or it will be dry.
- Let pans cool wire racks before removing cake.
- Run a knife around the outside edge and then carefully turn pans upside
- down on wire racks and remove pans and wax paper let cakes set until
- completely cool before frosting.
- This is the frosting I like to use for Red Cake.
3 tbsp of flour
3/4 vup of milk (whole or 2%)
Cook over low heat stirring constantly in a small sauce pan until thick.
Must cool completely.
3/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of butter
1 tsp vanilla
Add flour and milk mixure and beat until of spreading consistency. Must
have a good electric mixer for this, or it will not turn out right.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.