Print Friendly Recipe
- 1 lb (.5 kg). lamb shanks
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pearl barley
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). salt
- 3 springs parsley, snipped
- 2 whole cloves (I don't like cloves so use garlic cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced carrot
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped celery
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped turnip
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, combine lamb shanks, barley, salt, parsley, cloves, bay leaf, and 5 cups (1175 ml) water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, till meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove shanks from soup.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones.
- Cut meeat into pieces; return to soup.
- Add vegetables; cook till tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cloves.
- Serves 4-6.
- The recipe is traditional, but since I don't like cloves, I use garlic instead. Also, the lamb shanks can be browned before combining with the barley, water, etc. The recipe comes from the Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cook Book.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.