Print Friendly Recipe
- Best dinner rolls you'll ever eat!
- Jack Smelt
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) warm water
- 2 pkg yeast
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5-1/4 cups (1250 ml) flour (approx)
- Scald milk; stir in sugar, salt and shortening.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Measure warm water into large warm bowl.
- Sprinkle or crumble in yeast and stir until dissoloved.
- Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs, and 2 cups (475 ml) of flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board; let dough rest a couple of minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 -10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft , until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down.
- Turn out on lightly floured board, cover with bowl (slightly tilted to air) and rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out and cut into desire shapes.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
- Bake at 400 degrees (200 C.) for about 12 minutes.
- This is a old Southern family recipie that's always a favorite at Thanksgiving and Chirstmas. Can't be beat!
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.