Print Friendly Recipe
- Mexican Fried Bread
- Tampa Tribune, 11/4/99
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml). salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). baking powder
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). sugar, plus additional for dusting
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). shortening
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add just enough milk to make a soft, but firm, dough.
- Cover bowl and let stand for 30-60 minutes.
- Roll dough on lightly floured board to 1/4" thick.
- Cut into diamond-shaped pieces.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Add a few pieces of the dough at a time and fry until brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional sugar while still hot, or serve with butter and/or honey.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.