Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:1 per person
- 1 artichoke per person
- chopped onion
- white wine
- melted butter or mayonnaise or Miracle Whip or mustard
- Rinse artichokes well and drain.
- No need to cut off points as they will soften with cooking.
- Place steamer inset or rack in bottom of large pot and add 2 to 3 inches of water.
- Place artichokes upright in pan.
- Sprinkle with chopped onion and add a half cup or so of dry white wine to the water in bottom of pan.
- Cover pot and steam on medium heat until leaves pull out easily by hand (or with tongs!).
- Be careful not to let the pot boil dry or you will have smoked artichokes.
- Traditionally you can dip the wide end of the leaves in melted butter and scrape off the pulp with your teeth.
- You may prefer to dip them in mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, mustard or a mustard/mayo mix.
- When the leaves are gone, scrape off the fuzzy stuff on the top of the heart.
- Trim the bottom of the stem.
- Dip the heart in your sauce of choice.
- May be served warm or chilled, as an appetizer or side dish.
- Center may be hollowed out from top and filled with a nice seafood salad.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.