Print Friendly Recipe
- A Delicious Vegetarian Soup with Mushrooms and Barley
- Moosewood Cookbook
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raw pearl barley
- 6-1/2 cups (1525 ml) stock or water
- 1/2 to 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 3 to 4 tbsp (60 ml). tamarai
- 3 to 4 tbsp (60 ml). dry sherry
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- heaping 1 cup (225 ml) chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the barley in 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) of the stock or water until tender in the soup kettle.
- Add the remaining stock or water, tamarai, and sherry.
- Saute the onions and garlic in butter.
- When the onions and garlic soften, add mushrooms and 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). salt.
- When all is tender, add to barley, being sure to include the liquid the vegetables expressed while cooking.
- Give it a generous grinding of black pepper and simmer 20 minutes, covered, over the lowest heat.
- Taste to correct seasoning.
- 1 1/4 hours to prepare
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.