Print Friendly Recipe
- Lighter on Calories and Fat
- The Sacramento Bee, February 16, 2000
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (12 oz (336 grm). each) evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) fat-free chicken stock
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) white pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Wordestershire sauce
- 1 drop tabasco sauce
- 2 cups (475 ml) reduced-fat sharp chedder cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan and add the onion.
- Cover and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes--do not brown.
- While the onion is cooking, combine the milk and chicken stock in another saucepan and bring to a boil (or pour the milk and stock into a nonmetal bowl and heat in a microwave oven).
- Remove onion mixture from the heat and add the boiling milk and stock all at once, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Add all the other ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is completely melted.
- Per serving, appproximately: 228 cal, 21g protien, 19 g carb, 8 g fat, 30 mg chol, 398 mg sodium.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.