Print Friendly Recipe
- Perfect side dish for a special occasion; rich gratin of potatoes, wild mushrooms, cream and cheese. Delicious!
- d. lishus
- 1/2 cup(one stick) butter
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). button mushrooms, coursely chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). fresh shitake mushrooms, coursely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) minced garlic
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups (475 ml) chicken broth
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). Yukon Gold or russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/8" slices
- 2 cups (475 ml) fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (225 ml) grated Swiss cheese
- 2 cups (475 ml) half-n-half
- 2 cups (475 ml) whipping cream
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
- Melt butter in large pot over high heat.
- Add all mushrooms and saute until liquid is almost evaporated; about ten minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme and rosemary and saute one minute.
- Add chicken broth and simmer until liquid evaporates, stirring often, about eighteen minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper - cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Generously butter a 13X9X2" glass baking dish.
- Arrange one-third of potatoes in dish, overlapping slightly.
- Top with half of mushroom mixture.
- Combine the cheeses together; sprinkle one-third cheese over mushrooms.
- Repeat layering one-third potatoes, remaining mushrooms and one-third cheese.
- Arrange remaining potatoes atop cheese layer (you should have some cheese leftover for sprinkling at end).
- Whisk half-n-half, cream, salt and pepper; pour over potatoes.
- Cover loosely with foil and place in middle of oven with a baking sheet underneath to catch liquid that may bubble over.
- Bake for about one hour and fifteen minutes or unitl potatoes are tender and liquid thickens.
- Remove cover and sprinkle with more cheese and bake another fifteen minutes until cheese melts and gratin is golden at edges.
- Remove from oven and let stand ten minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.