Print Friendly Recipe
- Fry Bread
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) unbleached flour
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- oil for deep fat frying
- To make the chalupa shell, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening and add milk.
- Shape dough into a long cylinder and divide equally into 6 balls.
- Pat each ball out into a circle 5 inches in diameter (make the circles thinner in the middle so there will be a depression to hold the toppings).
- Fry each disc in hot oil until puffed and golden on both sides (turn once).
- Drain on absorbent paper towels.
- Pile your choice of ground beef, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, peppers, and cheese.
- Accompany, if desired, with salsa, sliced black olives, sour cream, or guacamole.
- This is a basic Indian Fry Bread. You can do basically the same thing with frozen bread dough. Indian Tacos.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.