Print Friendly Recipe
- Spicy Portuguese Sausage Sandwiches
Serves/Makes:1-1/2 - 2 dozen sandwiches
- 3 pounds Portuguese chourico (or Spanish chorizo)
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water (or more)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh hot crushed red pepper (or to your taste)
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 2 large green peppers, sliced
- Remove casing from sausage and chop into bite size pieces, set aside.
- In a large kettle over moderate heat add half of one onion, chopped and garlic and saute in a little olive oil.
- Add tomato paste, cinnamon and fresh crushed red pepper and continue to saute and mix into a paste.
- Add sausage and saute until cooked.
- Add tomato sauce and about 1/2 cup (125 ml) more or less of water (depending on how saucy you want sandwich filling)
- Slice remaining onions and green peppers.
- Top sausage mixture in kettle with onions and peppers and continue cooking until slightly limp.
- Mix well and serve hot in Portuguese rolls or other crusty meaty rolls.
- Chourico has alot of flavor on it's own and usually comes in mild to hot, pick according to your taste. This is a great spicy sandwich filling for a casual gathering.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.