Print Friendly Recipe
- A savoury cheese soup with flair.
- S. Chokel
- 5 or more slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of flour
- 4 cups (950 ml) of chicken stock
- 3 cups (700 ml) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dry sherry
- 5 oz (140 grm). pimento-stuffed olives, chopped
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- parsley, chopped
- sour cream, garnish
- In a dutch oven kind of pan, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Drain the bacon and reserve.
- Saute the carrots, celery, onion and green pepper in bacon drippings until tender (Do not brown them).
- Blend in the flour and slowly add the stock.
- Cook over low heat until mixture thickens and starts to simmery boil; cook about five minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in warm milk, sherry and olives.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season as you want with salt and pepper.
- Crumble bacon on top of each serving.
- A dollop of sour cream spiked with a red chile hot sauce or prepared horseradish topped off with the crumbled bacon adds a special delight to this soup. Leaving it with a simple dollop of sour cream with the crumbled bacon is good too.
Note 1: You can omit the olives and it is fine. I think the original recipe left it optional.
Note 2: Use the finest quality cheddar cheese for this.
This cheese soup is especially nice served with a loaf of sourdough bread and some tart green apples.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.