Print Friendly Recipe
- A very simple, quick, and tasty side dish.
- S. Chokel
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 5 cups (1175 ml) shredded cabbage
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of cream OR evaporated milk
- Put the butter in a skillet and let it start to brown slightly.
- Add the cabbage and stir well; cover the skillet and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and cream (or evaporated milk).
- Cover and simmer 4 more minutes.
- It is very important not to overcook the cabbage.
- Note: You can add a touch of nutmeg for a savoury flair. You can also use the salt and pepper to taste. Also, I have used very successfully the substitution of bacon fat for the butter.
I have no idea if this really is indigenous to Tennessee or not, but the person who originally gave it to me is from the city of Pulaski, Tennessee.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.