Print Friendly Recipe
- May be used with either precooked fillings or fillings that require baking.
Serves/Makes:One 9-in. pie crust
- 1 cup (225 ml) barley nugget cereal
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey crunch wheat germ or finely chopped pecans or almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). fat-free egg substitute
- Place the cereal, wheat germ or nuts, and brown sugar in a small bowl, and stir to mix well.
- Stir in the egg substitute.
- Coat a 9-in. pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Use the back of a spoon to pat the mixture against the bottom and sides of the pan, forming an even crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for about 12 minutes, or until the edges feel firm and dry.
- Cool the crust to room temperature and fill with a precooked filling, or fill and bake as directed in the recipe.
- Note: This crust should be prebaked even when making pies that require additional baking, such as pumpkin and sweet potato pies. When further baking is required, cut 3-in. wide strips of aluminum foil, and fold them over the edges of the pie pan to prevent overbrowning.
Nutritional Facts (Per 1/8 Crust)
Caloriies: 73, Carbohydrates: 15.6 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Fat: 0.3 g, Fiber: 1.5 g, Protein: 2.9 g, Sodium: 105 mg
You Save: 47 Calories, Fat: 7.7 g
From "Secrets of Fat-Free Desserts" by Sandra Woodruff, RD
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.