Print Friendly Recipe
- Deliciously different cake for late winter Sunday Mornings!
- S. Chokel
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) buttermilk
- 2 cups (475 ml) unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon rind, grated
- 1 cup (225 ml) walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). ground allspice
- dash of ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and then mix in the eggs.
- Blend the yogurt with the buttermilk.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add them alternately with the yogurt mixture into the egg mixture.
- Stir in the lemon rind and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a buttered 9 inch x 13 inch baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- The cake should still be moist.
- Simmer together all the ingredients, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven, turn the oven off, pour the glaze over the hot cake.
- Return the cake with glaze to the oven for about 10 minutes.
- From "Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant" by Molly Katzen (ISBN 0-671-67989-9)
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.