Print Friendly Recipe
- Delicious and addictive Fresh Blueberries in a rich crust. Fun recipe, rent "South Pacific" and enjoy the full "Nellie" experience!
- S. Chokel
- 3 pints fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
- zest of one lemon, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 2 cups (475 ml) unbleached flour, plus extra flour for dusting and rolling
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- Place the blueberries in a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch and toss to coat evenly.
- Add 4 tbsp (60 ml) water and the lemon zest and toss again.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and vinegar, set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together the shortening and butter.
- Place the flour in a large bowl.
- With dough blender or 2 knives, cut in the shortening mixture.
- Add the milk and mix thoroughly with wooden spoon--the dough will be very sticky.
- Liberally dusting your hands and the dough with flour, work the dough until you can form a ball.
- Divide the ball into 2 equal parts.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out part in a circle for the bottom crust.
- When the circle is about 1/8" thick, press into a pie pan and trim, leaving an edge sufficient for attaching the upper crust.
- Fill the bottom crust with the blueberry mixture.
- Roll out the top crust and place over the pie.
- Trim the edge.
- Trim with a fork and then join the crusts around the edge, pressing firmly.
- Prick the top crust several times with the fork to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Sprinkle the pie with the sugar and bake in the middle of the oven about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees (175 C.) and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Serve Nellie's Normal Blueberry Pie warm, topped with vanilla ice cream.
- "I'm as corny as Kansas in August
I'm as normal as blueberry pie,
No more a smart little girl with no heart,
I have found me a wonderful guy."
Sang Nellie Forbush about her romantic Frenchman, Emile DeBecque. Go rent the movie, "South Pacific" and have a wonderful dessert for this wonderful tribute and Mary Martin playing Nellie!
"Nellie's Normal Blueberry Pie"
From the Theater Lovers Cookbook
Preparation time: about 1 hour, including baking.
Feedback Theaterbooks & Prospero Press
305 Madison Avenue, Suite 1146
New York, NY 10165
From "South Pacific" by Joshua Logan, Richard Rodgers, and Oscar Hammerstein, II
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.