Print Friendly Recipe
- Oh this is IT! So fragrant and deliciously rich. The flavor must certainly be God's favorite too!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter (unsalted best)
- 2 onions, diced (Sweet, like Vidalia are great)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 28 oz (784 grm). can roasted diced green chilies, diced
- 5 tomatoes, diced
- 6 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 16 cups (3775 ml) chicken broth, (Canned consumme is fine or you can also use Knorr chicken Boullion cubes to water)
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). cheddar cheese or mixture with Colby and Monterey Jack (have it shredded and room temperature to blend and thicken best)
- salt to taste
- fresh cilantro
- chopped green onions
- sour cream
- In a large soup pot, melt butter and saute onions and garlic over medium heat.
- When onions are soft, add green chilies and tomatoes.
- Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Add potatoes and chicken stock.
- Cook over medium heat until potatoes are done, about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add cheese and, on very low heat, simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- For the absolute best results, omit the cheese, allow to cool overnight.
- Heat and just prior to serving add the cheese and then serve in Mexican soup bowls if you can find them (like a deep well plate).
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and chopped green onions and dollops of sour cream and fresh and warm corn tortillas.. or even soft warm flour tortillas.
If you don't have a source to get fresh tortillas, you can substitue a quality recipe for corn bread, or add a garnish of freshly cut off the cob corn, like a relish.
An icy cold Margarita made with Patron Tequila and fresh limes is the completion of the perfect meal!!
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.