Print Friendly Recipe
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 5 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 large onion
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) oil for frying
- Grate potatoes and onion on the fine side of a grater, or in a food processor, put in a blender with a little bit water if needed.
- Strain grated potatoes and onion through a colander, pressing out excess water.
- Add eggs, flour, and seasoning; mix well.
- Heat 1/2 cup (125 ml) oil in skillet.
- With a medium to medium high heat (all stoves are different) and place large 1 tbsp (15 ml) of batter at a time into hot sizzling oil and fry on one side for approximately 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn over and fry on other side 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Continue with remaining batter until used up, adding more oil when necessary.
- Serve with sour cream and sauteed apples or applesauce on the side.
- Variation: Zucchini or Carrot Latkes: Substitute 5 medium zucchini or 5 medium carrots for potatoes.
- Depending on your family, this recipe has differing names. Some people call it Kugel and some Latkes. Kugel is generally known as a Noodle Pudding, however many, many families refer to Kugel as a broad spectrum of recipes that primarily come from Eastern European Countries.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.