Print Friendly Recipe
- We ate this as kids on cold snowy days or when we were sick. The Ultimate Comfort Food of the Irish!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). boiling beef or fowl
- 3 quarts (2850 ml) cold fresh water
- 4 oz (112 grm). pearl barley
- 3 to 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 oz (56 grm). steel-cut oatmeal (McCann's is available in USA, don't use Quaker's mushy flakes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the beef or fowl in the cold water with the salt, pepper, and barley.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer.
- Prepare the vegetables and add to the meat together with the oatmeal.
- Simmer for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Serve. (We like to eat this with Soda Bread and glops of a soft pungent cheese for dinners).
- Note1: I chop the onions into little chunks and slice the carrots. I chop the celery into little pieces.
Note2: If you add the onion's natural brown skin to the broth, it will turn the broth to a natural beautiful golden color. That is an old, old, old trick of cooks from ancient times and is really a great trick.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.