Print Friendly Recipe
- yumyum recipes
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) all-purpose flour--not self-rising flour
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) sugar
- 3-1/2 tsp (17.5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) shortening
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla or almond extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease and flour rectangular pan, 13 X 9 X 2 inches, 2 round pans, 9 X 1-1/2 inches, or 3 round pans, 8 X 1-1/2 inches.
- Beat all ingredients except egg whites, nuts and cherries in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Fold nuts and cherries into batter.
- Pour into pan(s).
- Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, 9-inch rounds 30 to 35 minutes, 8-inch rounds 23 to 28 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool rectangle on wire rack.
- Cool layers 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost cake with Cherry-Nut Frosting if desired.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.