Print Friendly Recipe
- Simple nugget candy heated to hardcrack stage
- Alberta Joyce Reid
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of molasses
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of vinegar
- 1 little splash of lemon juice
- Mix ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Stir constantly and heat over medium-high to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until a piece of the candy turns brittle in cold water.
- My grandmother who lived in Beaumont,Newfoundland made this candy and my mother makes it still. The candy is most often used as a lozenge for sore throats. My mother uses white vinigar but I might try an apple cider vinigar instead. She also simply heats the candy in a saucepan directly over the stove element. I would probably use a double boiler but the risk of water drops getting into the candy might be problematic. I hope this is the recipe you are looking for. I remember the candy has a lovely tawney colour.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.