Print Friendly Recipe
- Great For Thanksgiving...
- Passed Down From The Generations on the Mother's Side
- 2 large cans Princella Yams in Light Syrup
- 3 sticks Challenge butter (regular not unsalted)
- 1 cup (225 ml) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated white sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml). freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). (level) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla or almond extract or to taste (optional)
- Drain syrup from yams and place in pot on LOW heat.
- Place remaining yams in glass baking dish.
- Stir in butter, sugar, nutmeg and cinamon to syrup.
- Continually stir for approximately 30-40 minutes.
- To decrease chances of sugar scorching the bottom of the pan, stir in different directions.
- Syrup is ready when sauce sticks to spoon.
- Pour over yams.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 20 minutes OR stir in yams for 10 minutes on High Simmer on the stove top.
- Honey or maple syrup can be used in place of dark brown sugar.
For richer scauce add 1/2 stick butter more per can of yams.
Can be served chilled over vanilla ice cream for desert.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.