Print Friendly Recipe
- This is THE Macaroni and Cheese Recipe! It was the mainstay favorite at the Horn & Hardart's Automat in NYC!
- Laura and Jay's Mom
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) all purpose flour
- 3 cups (700 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Dash of freshly ground white pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). elbow macaroni, fully cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.) and grease a 2 quarts (1900 ml) baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a saucepanover medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour, then add the milk, salt, and white and cayenne peppers.
- Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and is smooth, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese and cook, stirring until it melts; remove the saucepan from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the macaroni and the sauce.
- Stir in the tomatoes and sugar.
- Transfer the macaroni mixture to a greased baking dish.
- Bake until the surface is browned, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- This freezes well, make great left-overs and is considered by some to be even better reheated the next day!
This recipe is common in NYC and loved by people from all over the world!
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.