Print Friendly Recipe
- Crusty cornbread from Tennessee
- William Bohannon
- 2 cups (475 ml) white cornmeal
- 2 cups (475 ml) buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) bacon drippings
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) bacon drippings or corn oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). white corn meal
- Place oven on broil highest heat.
- Mix all batter ingredients at once for 2 minutes by hand.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) bacon drippings to large cast iron skillet.
- Place pan in oven and heat until smoking.
- Remove smoking pan from oven and add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of dry cornmeal.
- Stir pan to brown cornmeal.
- Add batter evenly around in a circle.
- Place pan back in oven immediately.
- Change oven setting to bake at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Bake 20-25 min until center has risen and tooth pick comes out clean.
- Crusty on the outside and tender like cake on the inside then you know you have done it right.
Mine turned out right the second time I tried it because I lowered my oven to 325 degrees F. and increased the time a little.
Every oven is a little bit different.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.