Print Friendly Recipe
- Rich Savory Cherries in Classic Chutney.. try this if you are not familar with the deliciousness chutney adds to roasted meats!
Serves/Makes:3 cups approx.
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) dried sweet cherries
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped onion
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) golden raisins
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) minced candied ginger
- 3 tsp (15 ml) mustard seed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) each ground allspice, ground cloves and ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour. (Add a tsp at a time of extra water if more moisture is needed.. should be fairly thick, but somewhat "watery".
- Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened (about 30 minutes more).
- Remove from heat, let cool, and chill until needed.
- Dried fruits have varying degrees of moisture, so be careful not to add liquid as this should be thick like a conserve, and you need to make sure there is enough moisture not to burn! A heavy bottomed saucepan is a necessary option.
You can spoon this spicy-sweet cherry chutney to a meal of grilled chicken or pork, or any roasted meats too! It is especially nice with venison roasts and roast turkey breasts!
Copyright ©1997-2022 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.