Print Friendly Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) chopped onions
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz (784 grm). diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz (420 grm). cans tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 3/4 tbsp (10 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml). oregano
- 2 tsp (10 ml). basil
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- cooked spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in oil until transparent.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, sugar, salt, oregano and basil.
- Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 1 hour.
- Brown ground beef and drain excess grease.
- Add beef to spaghetti sauce and cook 30 minutes more.
- Serve with spaghetti and parmesan cheese.
- It may sound strange to add sugar to spaghetti sauce, but trust me, it's the secret to a great spaghetti sauce. The sugar cuts the acid of the tomatoes and bitter flavor of the garlic in the sauce. If using fresh tomatoes instead of canned increase salt to 1 T. and decrease sugar to 3/4 T. This sauce is also good without meat. Enjoy!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.