Print Friendly Recipe
- With 3 cheeses and 2 different types of noodles
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 4 oz (112 grm). orrechia noodles (ear shaped)
- 4 oz (112 grm). elbow noodles
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 4 oz (112 grm). container regular cottage cheese
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk (skim or regular)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). all purpose flour
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- cooking spray
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- While noodles are cooking:
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet pan.
- Add flour and milk to butter, and stir to a boil; reduce heat.
- When milk and flour thicken, set aside.
- Drain noodles.
- Place noodles back into pan and stir in cottage cheese.
- When well mixed and somewhat melted, set aside.
- Place one third of the noodles into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Use one third of the shredded cheese to cover the noodles.
- Add more noodles to the pan, layering with remainding cheese.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Top with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 20 to 30 minutes, or until browned on top.
- The secret is the cottage cheese, which keeps the casserole very moist and gives a great added flavor. The 2 different types of noodles give a great texture. Everyone calls my mac and cheese the best around! You can substitute whole wheat pasta, or use spiral noodles in addition to the elbows.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.