Print Friendly Recipe
- Simple Everyday all American Chicken Dinner from the heart of the 50's.
- Peek from 1969 Betty Crocker Cookbook
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can sliced mushrooms, drained (reserve 1/4 cup (60 ml) fluid)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour*
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) light cream
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) chicken broth**
- 2 cups (475 ml) cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 4 oz (112 grm). jar pimiento, chopped
- Toast cups (Recipe below) or Patty shells
- In a large skillet, cook and stir mushrooms and green pepper in butter 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream, broth and reserved mushroom liquid.
- Heat to boiling, stirring contantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken and pimiento; heat through.
- Serve hot in Toast cups or Patty shells.
- * If using self-rising flour, decrease salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
**Chicken broth can be made by dissolving 2 chicken bouillon cubes or equivalent) in 1 3/4 cups boiling water, or use one 1 can about 14 ounces of chicken broth.
How to make Toast Cups:
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Trim crusts from thinkly sliced fresh bread; spread with soft butter or margarine. Press buttered side down into muffin cups. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.