Print Friendly Recipe
- 8 oz (224 grm). leftover bread, hard crusts removed
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk (more or less, depending on dryness of bread)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- oil or butter, or equal amounts of each
- Toppings that taste good with French toast
- Break bread into pieces; combine with milk, and work with your hand until all the milk has been absorbed and the bread is soft.
- Add the eggs, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Heat about 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil/butter in a frying pan.
- For each pancake place approximately 3 tbsp (45 ml) of batter in oil.
- Spread with back of spoon so it is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and 3 to 4 inches wide.
- Cook on medium to medium-high heat roughly 3 minutes on each side.
- This tastes like French toast. Don't worry about exact amounts. Just gather up bread, soften it, then guess how many eggs will hold it together.
Variations: Add finely diced fruit to the bread mixture; serve with sour cream and powdered sugar. Savory version: Omit sugar; add 1/2 t. pepper and 1 c. minced green scallions.
Adapted from early Jacques Pepin cookbook
Copyright ©1997-2021 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.