Print Friendly Recipe
- For Those Backyard Cookouts
- Tom McCort
Serves/Makes:6 cups, approx.
- 2 cups (475 ml) tomato juice
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) cornstarch
- 1 cup (225 ml) granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) soy sauce
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) red sweet pepper finely, diced
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground ginger
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) liquid smoke
- Place 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the water in a bowl and mix with the cornstarch to make a thin paste.
- Place remaining water & tomato juice in a large sauce pan.
- Add the sugar & soy sauce.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and simmer until thickened.
- Add the vegetables, ginger and chili powder.
- Continue simmering until vegetables are tender (just a few minutes).
- Add the vinegar, hot sauce & liquid smoke.
- Stir, simmering another minute, then remove from heat.
- Sauce can be stored in refrigerator for several weeks.
- Some barbecue sauce recipes can be intimidating with all of the arcane ingredients and instructions -- I've seen some that would make a chemistry professor weep. This one is quick & easy to prepare and your guests will give it rave reviews.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.