Print Friendly Recipe
- Tastes like an expensive brand
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can tomatoes, undrained (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium-size green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground allspice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar
- 4 drops to 6 drops Tabasco
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- Simmer tomatoes, onion, celery and green pepper until vegetables are tender.
- Let cool until safe to put in a blender (which can erupt if contents are hot).
- Pulse (turn on and off quickly) in blender until vegetables are finely chopped but not liquidized.
- Put back in pan with the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered until thick, stirring every five minutes or so.
- Taste and adjust sugar, vinegar or Tabasco if necessary.
- Starts at 3 cups (700 ml), cooks down to 2 cups (475 ml).
- If you don't have allspice, put in a tiny amount of nutmeg and a very small pinch of ground cloves, just a whisper. Too much and it will overwhelm the other flavors. I can't remember where I got this recipe, long ago.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.