Print Friendly Recipe
- Great Northern Beans and Fresh Sweet Peas make a great savory side salad!
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). bacon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 15.5 oz (434 grm). cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (475 ml) peas, cooked
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried savory, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups (950 ml) finely shredded cabbage, optional for serving suggestion
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved, optional for serving suggestion
- In a large skillet cook bacon over moderate heat until crisp.
- While the bacon is draining on paper towels, pour off all but 2 tbsp (30 ml) of bacon grease from skillet (save excess grease for another purpose, or discard).
- Add water and vinegar to skillet and simmer, whisking frequently.
- As mixture simmers, crumble bacon into dressing.
- Add beans, peas and savory and bring back to a simmer for about 1 minute.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- If desired, place each serving of bean salad atop 1/2 cup (125 ml) of shredded cabbage and garnish with four cherry tomato halves.
- Makes eight 3/4 cup servings. We like to add a little sugar and some sauteed onions to the water and vinegar dressing. A tablespoon or two of finely chopped sweet red pepper adds a nice touch of color.
I think this is an old Czech recipe.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.