Print Friendly Recipe
- This recipe is over 75 years old and uses crushed vanilla wafers and a rich lemony filling.
- Susan Doocy
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) lemon rind
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup (225 ml) cream, whipped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) vanilla wafers
- Beat egg yolks, salt, and sugar in top of double boiler.
- Stir in the lemon juice and rind and cook over hot, NOT boiling, water until mixture thickens and coasts a spoon.
- Remove from stove and chill.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and then fold in whipped cream and cooked mixture.
- Sprinkle half of the wafer crumbs in freezing tray, then pour in mixture.
- Top with remaining crumbs and cool until firm.
- Serve in finger length slices.
- I had this recipe way, way back in the late 60's and it was a favorite then. I haven't had it since, and I have never made it myself. This is from my then girlfriend's grandma, who made it for us. Honestly, I think she used more wafer crumbs than what she wrote down. Adjust as you think is best for your taste.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.