Print Friendly Recipe
- Family recipe file
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef, fried and browned.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) frozen peas
- 2 cups (475 ml) frozen green beans
- 2 cups (475 ml) frozen lima beans
- 2 14.5 oz (406 grm). cans stewed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves, optional
- 1 cup (225 ml) uncooked pearled barley
- Brown ground beef in frying pan.
- Add water and boil to get brownings out of pan.
- Pour browned water and ground beef into large stock pot.
- Add vegetables and seasonings; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer till vegetables are tender.
- Add barley and bay leaves towards end of cooking time.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Allow 2 hours for cooking time.
This always tastes better the second day. Any variety of vegetables may be added--according to preference. The amount of vegetables and water may be varied as well.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.