Print Friendly Recipe
- 2 cups (475 ml) diced yellow onion
- 1 quart (950 ml) tomato puree
- 1 quart (950 ml) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (225 ml) dry red wine
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) oregano
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 1 lb (.5 kg) ground meat, optional (see comments)
- Brown the butter in a large, heavy stock-pot (This is an important step.)
- Add the onions and cook them for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add everything else and cook covered for 1 1/2 hours over medium/low heat.
- Uncover and cook for 1/2 hour longer to thicken the sauce.
- cooking time: 2 hours
This freezes beautifully. For a meat sauce, add 1 lb. browned, ground pork, beef, or turkey meat.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.