Print Friendly Recipe
- Old Timey Bisquick type biscuit dumplings in tomatoes. Comfort food from Appalachia.
- Kista Cook
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) whole canned tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- favorite biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
- saly and pepper, to taste
- Make enough biscuit mix to the consistency for Drop Biscuits for 6 large or 12 regular sized biscuits according to package instructions, set aside.
- Put tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and milk into a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Scoop golf ball sized dough into the boiling tomato mixture.
- Reduce stockpot to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes covered.
- Serve in crockery bowls with generous pads of cold butter to melt onto dumplings and into tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can make non-packaged feather dumplings or bread dumplings for this recipe, but Bisquick or Jiffy Baking mix is a quick and excellent way to go.
These are usually eaten as a stand alone meal, but you can sprinkle crisply cooked bacon or chopped and/or diced ham onto the dish too.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.