Print Friendly Recipe
- Prickly Pear
Serves/Makes:6 good-sized biscuits
- 2 cups (475 ml) sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) margarine or solid shortening
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) water OR rice OR soy "milk"
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Cut in margarine (OR shortening) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in water (OR rice OR soy "milk")and blend until dough comes together.
- Knead lightly 4 or 5 times.
- Roll out to 1/2" thick.
- Cut out with biscuit cutter(OR drinking glass).
- Place on baking/cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from baking sheet and place on wire rack to cool.
- This recipe is easily doubled. It also freezes well. You can use this as a base recipe for strawberry short cake, etc. If you so desire, you can use an artificial sweetner such as Splenda, Equal, etc. (use 1 to 2 packages, or to taste).
Also, if you desire a drop-style biscuit, increase liquid to 3/4 cup and drop by large spoonfuls onto baking sheet that has been sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.