Print Friendly Recipe
- Laura and Jay's Mom
Serves/Makes:12 or more
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1 package basic yellow cake mix*
- 1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 large or x-large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dark rum
- chopped nuts to line the bottom of the Bundt pan
- Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/4 pound butter, (1 stick)
- 1 cup (225 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) rum
- Cake Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Prepare the bundt pan by greasing it well, and laying the chopped nuts as evenly as possible along the bottom of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and with an electric beater or mixer, beat for 3 minutes.
- Pour mix slowly and carefully into the Bundt pan, making sure not to disrupt the nuts if possible.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees (175 C.), or until the top is golden and a finger check bounces back.
- Remove cake from the pan and place on a serving plate.
- Glaze Directions:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the water and sugar. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the rum.
- Then, using a fork or skewers, carefully pierce the top of the cake along the top 1/4 of the cake.
- Slowly, and as evenly as possible, pour the rum glaze over the cake, (the glaze will soak into the pierced holes and go into the cake).
- Serve room temperature or chilled. Excellent with whipped cream.
- *Do not use "Pudding in the Mix" varieties.
Pina Colada Cake:
One of my special touches to this cake recipe is to add a can of crushed pineapple and some angel flake coconut. Drain a can of crushed pineapple and reserve the liquid, add the pineapple and the coconut to the cake mix. Then, using chopped macadamia nuts, and if you like, a few well placed marachino cherries, line the bottom of the Bundt pan. When you make the glaze, omit the water and use 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice and glaze the cake the same way.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.