Print Friendly Recipe
- This is the basis for many recipes. Try this to make your own, "cream of" soups base in recipes.
Serves/Makes:2 1/4 cups
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) hot milk or 1 cup (225 ml) hot chicken stock
- In a skillet or deep heavy saucepan, heat butter and onion together, but do not brown.
- Stir in flour and remove pan from the burner.
- Add salt and hot milk or hot stock and continue to stir until the sauce is smooth.
- Return to the heat, stirring constantly until sauce comes to a boil.
- Add mushrooms, artichokes, or whatever you like. It is excellent as a layer in lasagna, and served over roasted meats, it is so foundational to so many recipes, it should be called, "the perfect sauce".
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.