Print Friendly Recipe
- Yummie for kids of all ages!
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) to 2 cups (475 ml) uncooked rice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 14 oz (392 grm). to 17 oz (476 grm). can crushed pineapple, reserve drained liquid
- 1 14 oz (392 grm). to 17 oz (476 grm). can fruit cocktail
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 3 cups (700 ml) or more miniature marshmallows
- 3 cups (700 ml) cool whip
- 1 cup (225 ml) or more sour cream
- In large saucepan, combine cooked rice, 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) to 2 cups (475 ml) water, reserved pineapple juice, and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt.
- Stir to moisten rice, bring quickly to boil; reduce heat to bare simmer, cover; simmer 10 minutes. (I use a rice maker for perfect rice texture, and it's easier and quicker. If you don't have a rice cooker, they are only about 12 to 15 dollars, now might be the perfect time to buy one for perfect rice every single time!).
- Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- Then, add the pineapple, fruit cocktail, and lemon juice; cool.
- Then, stir in the marshmallows, followed by folding in the sour cream, then the whipped cream or cool whip.
- Adjust your "thickness".. add more cool whip or sour cream to taste and texture.
- The last step is to add the cherries. Fold them in and dot a few on top for looks if you like. If you add the cherries sooner, they will turn the whole salad pinkish.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving so the flavors set and the rice absorbs a little bit of the "juices".
- You can serve this in a big pretty bowl, in individual serving cups or layered with fresh fruit in a large or individual parfait or trifle bowls. Also a great treat to put into paper or foil cupcake liners for children's snacks and lunches.
Hint: Omit the sour cream, substitute somewhat softened vanilla ice cream, or use all Cool Whip, and fill about 2/3 to 3/4th full into 12 paper cupcake liners and freeze for a wonderful.. (and somewhat nutritious?) frozen snack for kids.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.