Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 whole chicken (approx. 3 lbs (1.4 kg).)
- 2 medium lemons
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Kosher or sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Remove giblets.
- Wash chicken inside and out with cold water.
- Let chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until it reaches room temperature (about 15 minutes).
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Pour lemon juice all over the chicken (inside and out).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Prick the whole lemons three times with a fork and place deep inside the cavity.
- Place the bird breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Lower heat to 350 degrees (175 C.) and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn bird breast-side up (use wooden spoons).
- Return it to the oven for 35 minutes more.
- To make sure it's done, insert a meat thermometer in the thigh; it should read 180 degrees (80 C.), or juices should run clear when pricked with a fork.
- Continue baking if necessary.
- Let chicken cool for a few minutes before carving.
- Serve with juices.
- Glamour Magazine's January "Menu of the Month" for Engagement Chicken has led to three marriage proposals (that they know of)and was such a smash that even Howard Stern's girlfriend tried it. Hope this is the recipe you're looking for.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.