Print Friendly Recipe
- Confetti Rice:
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups (475 ml) long grain wild rice
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (225 ml) fresh frozen green peas
- Annatto oil:
- 1 cup (225 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) annatto seeds
- To make oil:
- Bring 1 cup (225 ml) olive oil with 1/2 cup (125 ml) annatto seeds to almost a boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Strain oil and cool.
- Use about 1 tsp (5 ml) to 2 tsp (10 ml) in rice dishes.
- Confetti rice:
- Saute onions and peppers till soft but not browned.
- Stir in raw rice and cook a few minutes.
- Add the stock and annatto oil and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender.
- Let rest off the heat 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
- Season to taste.
- Stir in thawed green peas.
- Note: Annatto seeds are achiote seeds. The seeds are simmered in oil to extract the orange yellow color used in many Hispanic dishes.
The colored oil may color grains, pastries , vegetables or even add a golden yellow color as a poultry baste.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.