Print Friendly Recipe
- Los Angeles Times
Serves/Makes:10 or more
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) softened unsalted butter
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg). sweet potatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh thyme
- Generously butter a 2 quarts (1900 ml) gratin dish and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Peel the sweet potatoes.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, cut into slices one-fourth-inch thick.
- Arrange the slices in overlapping layers in the dish, seasoning each layer generously with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cream and thyme in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pour evenly over the potatoes, coating all exposed surfaces.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil; continue baking until the sweet potatoes are soft and caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- Total time: 1 hour and 20 minutes. Each serving: 202 calories; 2 grams protein; 20 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 13 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 46 mg. cholesterol; 45 mg. sodium.
Spicy sweet potato gratin: Omit the thyme. Distribute 3 cloves minced garlic and 2 teaspoons minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce over the second layer of sweet potatoes. Proceed as in main recipe.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.