Print Friendly Recipe
- Am. Diabetes Assoc. Holiday Cookbook, Betty Wedman,
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsweetened apple or orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped dried figs
- 1 cup (225 ml) canned or cooked pumpkin
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated orange rind
- Combine the juice, raisins and figs in a bowl.
- Let stand for 1 hour or overnight.
- Beat together the pumpkin, sugar and oil.
- Stir in the fruit mixture.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices.
- Mix well.
- Add the nuts and orange rind.
- Stir to blend well.
- Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 8 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in 325 degree (175 C.) oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Wrap in foil and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 1/2 inch slice - 160 calories, 1 bread exchange, 1 fruit, 1 fat 26
grams carbohydrate, 3 grams protein, 6 grams fat, 69 mg sodium, 221
mg potassium, 0 cholesterol
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.