Print Friendly Recipe
- 3 cups (700 ml) flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1 quart (950 ml) cold water
- Stir flour, eggs, salt, and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water.
- Beat until batter is smooth and no longer adheres to the spoon.
- Add water as needed.
- The spaetzle dough can be firm enough to be rolled and cut into slivers or soft enough to be forced through a sieve, colander or spaetzle-maker with large holes.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- If you have a Spatzle press, press the dough through the press and into the boiling water.
- If you do not have a press, place dough on cutting board and roll out.
- Cut dough into tiny noodles.
- Add noodles to boiling water.
- They cook quickly and are done when they float back to the surface.
- As the noodles finish cooking, remove them with a slotted spoon.
- You can saute the noodles in 1 Tbsp (15 ml). of butter before serving.
- Other suggestions:
- Serve with a brown gravy or beef stock.
- If you don't want to use the egg yolks, use the egg whites and add some yellow food coloring for a nice color.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.