Print Friendly Recipe
- K. Cooley
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) all purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) toasted wheat bran
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) toasted wheat germ
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) old-fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) (1/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups (475 ml) (about) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Butter 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl; mix well.
- Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine meal.
- Stir in enough buttermilk to form soft dough.
- Transfer dough to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until bread is dark brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Turn bread out onto rack.
- Turn right side up and cool on rack.
- From Bon Appetit magazine May 1996.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.