Print Friendly Recipe
- Simple but tasty from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) good olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) unsalted butter
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). russet potatoes (2 large potatoes/lb.)
- 2 cups (475 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml) heavy cream
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) grated Gruyere cheese (1/2 lb (.2 kg).)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Butter the inside of a 10 x 15 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Remove the stalks from the fennel and cut the bulbs in half lengthwise.
- Remove the cores and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise, making approximately 4 cups (950 ml) of sliced fennel.
- Saute the fennel and onions in the olive oil and butter on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Peel the potatoes, then thinly slice them by hand or with a mandoline.
- Mix the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with 2 cups (475 ml) of cream, 2 cups (475 ml) of Gruyere, salt, and pepper.
- Add the sauteed fennel and onion and mix well.
- Pour the potatoes into the baking dish and press down to smooth.
- Combine the remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) cream and 1/2 cup (125 ml) Gruyere and sprinkle on the top.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until the potatoes are very tender and the top is browned and bubbly.
- Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.
- From The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten.
A great accompaniment to the holiday prime rib, filets, etc.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.