Print Friendly Recipe
- 1 lb (.5 kg). flour
- 6 oz (168 grm). lard or butter or mixed
- 8 oz (224 grm). raisins
- 8 oz (224 grm). currants
- 1/2 oz (14 grm). yeast
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 6 oz (168 grm). brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 8 oz (224 grm). sultanas
- 2 oz (56 grm). candied peel
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) mixed spice
- Milk to mix
- Mix yeast with warm milk.
- Rub the fat into the flour and mix the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the centre and add the yeast.
- Mix into a soft dough, then cover and leave in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours to rise, till twice its original size.
- Turn onto a floured board, place in greased tins, stand again in a warm place for about 20 minutes and bake in a moderately quick oven for 1 to 2 hours.
- When cold, cut and butter as for ordinary loaf - thin slices with plenty of butter!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.