Print Friendly Recipe
- Allen M.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). fresh thyme, or 1/2 tbsp (7 ml). dry thyme
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) corn, frozen or canned
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) okra or more, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) bacon, fried, drained, and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml). fennel seed
- 1 tsp (5 ml). sesame seed
- 1 tsp (5 ml). coriander seed
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cream
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add wine and reduce for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Add potatoes and okra, and cook until just starting to get tender.
- Add corn.
- Meanwhile grind fennel seed, sesame seed, and coriander seed to a coarse powder.
- Add above spice mix to soup pot.
- Add bacon.
- Add ground pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Test for seasoning, add salt if desired.
- Turn off heat, stir in cream, and serve.
- As an additional treat add some crabmeat or clams (canned or fresh) for a hearty seafood chowder.
The larger the okra, the tougher they are. Choose the smaller ones if you have that option.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.